Toolbox Talk: Slips, Trips and Falls
Slips, trips, and falls are the number one reason for an industrial injury in the United States. More workers are hurt due to slips, trips, or falls than any other reason. Over the years we’ve had several incidents from tripping on strapping or slipping on oil. This week we will look specifically at Slips, Trips, and Falls.
Thousands of disabling injuries -and even deaths -occur each year as the result of slips, trips, and falls:
- From heights, on stairs, and on level ground.
- At work and at home.
Maintain Work Areas to Prevent Slips, Trips, and Falls
- This is probably the most important thing you can do to prevent this type of accident.
- Housekeeping is key to preventing slips, trips, and falls.
- Keep walkways, aisles, and stairs free of tools, materials, and other hazards.
- Clean up any leaks or spills on floors, stairs, entranceways, and loading docks promptly.
- Repair or report floor problems, such as broken planks, missing tiles, etc.
- Block off and mark floor areas that are being cleaned or repaired.
- Keep cords, power cables, and air hoses out of walkways.
- Place trash promptly in proper containers.
- Keep drawers closed.
- Take precautions on stairs and dock edges.
- Report missing or broken stair rails and slippery or damaged treads.
- Walk, don’t run, on stairs.
- Hold onto stair rails while going up and down.
- Don’t jump on or off platforms and loading docks, and stay away from edges.
- Don’t carry a load you cannot see over, especially on stairs or around dock edges.
NOTE: Always promote a discussion on any of the topics covered in the Toolbox Talk!
t h i n k s a f e . w o r k s a f e . b e s a f e
Intention: At Construct Corps we strive to nurture a “safety culture.” The intention of the Construct Corps Tool Box Talk is a brief safety talk or meeting about a specific subject given once weekly. It can take a lot of time to develop safety topics for such tool box talks each week. Feel free to print and distribute these talks.
What is Construction Staffing Done Right?
Doing the right thing. Communicating openly and honestly.
These traits may not be common in construction staffing, but they serve as our foundation at Construct Corps. We believe there is a right way to do things and that mutual success is the byproduct of sound principles. Our services are priced fairly and we recommend the best solution, even if it is not one we offer. Our centralized recruiting operations make it possible to receive the same high level of service no matter where your business takes you. Combine this with our refined systems and quality management processes that help insure a high staffing success rate, and we’re dispelling the myth that all construction staffing companies are the same.
Offering superior service since 2000, Construct Corps is a skilled trades construction staffing company, providing qualified workers to commercial, industrial, and residential contractors. Give us the opportunity to discuss your manpower needs and see why we’re different.