Construct Corps ToolBox Talk: 5 Keys to Safe Driving
Key #1 – Aim High Steering
· Keep 12 – 15 seconds of eye lead-time H.E.L.T. * Peripheral Vision (Fringe Vision) – 98% or 177 degrees of our vision.
(Habitual Eye Lead Time)
· Look far down the road, where the road disappears. * Central Vision (Core Vision) – 2% or 3 degrees of our vision.
· Know your field of vision.
Key #2 – Get the Big Picture
Be Aware of all objects and obstacles: · Sidewalk to Sidewalk.
· 1 – 2 city blocks ahead. · All of the area around your vehicle.
· ½ mile on highways, expressways & country roads.
Key #3 – Keep Your Eyes Moving
· Check mirrors every 5 – 8 seconds. – Adjust Radio: Turn on music, turn up music, turn down music, and change station…
· Scan your eyes every 2 seconds.
· Never stare at an object for more than 2 seconds. – Roll down window, turn up air conditioner, and turn off heater.
* Eliminate Eye Holding Problems. – Sing or talk to yourself or others.
– Adjust Speed: Speed up or slow down – Pull over, take a break or get rest.
– Change Lanes.
Key #4 – Leave Yourself an Out
· Leave a 1 car-length space cushion at stop signs and intersections. * Adjust Speed: Speed up or slow down.
· Keep at least a 2 seconds following distance in front of your vehicle. (Preferably 4 seconds whenever possible). * Change Lanes.
· Keep at least a 3 seconds following distance during adverse weather. * Allow them to pass: Pull over to the side of the road or turn off on to another road. * Signal a warning:
· Eliminate Tailgaters: – Turn on / Turn off Headlights.
– Use turn indicators
Key #5 – Make Sure They See You
· Make Eye Contact.
· Honk Horn (Twice).
· Turn on / Turn off Headlights.
· Brake Tap.
· Use turn signals.